Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Carrottes Etuvees Au Beurre



Doesn't that sound fancy?! Much better than "carrots braised in butter". Which actually even sounds better than my usual "boil some already-peeled baby carrots in hot water and maybe add a little butter".

Right before Christmas I watched Julie and Julia and thought it was such a fun movie. If you follow my blog, you know we were in Paris this past summer and I love French food (for the most part), dining out, and even post the occasional recipe. I'm not a very good cook but I'm trying. So anyway, my parents thought it would be fun to get me the two volume set of Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking along with a beautiful Le Creuset French oven - in Flame to match my tea kettle.

The first recipe I've made from the books is the fancy-pants carrots named above. They were so easy but so special because I just felt like I gave it a little more thought & effort than I usually would give a vegetable side dish - and served them up in the lovely LeC. I made them for the second time last night because my 4 yr old son requested them again. (That makes a mom feel good!)

If you want to try them out, here's what you do (adapted from p.477 of Julia's Vol. 1 book):

1. peel and cut up about 1 1/2 lbs of carrots


2. boil them in 1 1/2 cups of water, along with 1 1/2 Tbsp of butter, 1 Tbsp granulated sugar, 1/2 tsp salt, and a pinch of pepper for about 30 min or until the carrots are tender - top with a little chopped parsley if you want, and serve

not part of the recipe, just taking a little break

You want to cook the carrots until the liquid has just evaporated and the carrots are beginning to saute in the butter. In these pics there is a little bit too much liquid still. This was the first time I made them. Last night, I got it all cooked out and they were perfection! I served them alongside a turkey & roasted red pepper meatloaf which I've made several times - another recipe post coming soon!

xoxo

10 comments:

  1. seriously??? BEST present ever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm loving your new "Lifestyle" posts!! We all need some inspiration from time to time, especially during the January-blahs. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great! Looking forward to your other recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't wait for the next recipe post! It IS great that your son requested this, especially since it's veggies! My littles used to love broccoli, I was thrilled...but then one day they woke up & decided they hated the stuff! :( They do ask for my homemade mac & cheese, shepherd's pie & warm potato salad a lot though!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look awesome! And it's something that this single gal can make a single serving of - love that!
    Thanks for sharing. Oh, and so jeals of your LeC!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lissa - I know! I'm enjoying them sooo much!
    Katherine - thank you :)
    Mona P - thanks :)
    lottie - hmmm... I guess they always keep you guessing. Those 3 recipes sound like they'd be frequently requested!
    Legally Fabulous - thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmm..love these! I would love the Turkey meatloaf recipe, too! Sounds great:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would love for you to please post the meatloaf recipe. THanks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. EntertaininMom - yes - it's good :) I've been thinking about you lots lately. Glad you are posting and tweeting.
    Genny - I will get that posted by tomorrow - it's very good! :)

    ReplyDelete