Monday, August 29, 2011

Peach Blueberry Crisp {+ Funny Things My Kids Say}



Fruit crisps are my new go-to dessert (a couple years ago it was popcorn cake... must look that recipe up again). Most people really like them, they are quick & easy, and I usually have the ingredients on hand to make one sort or the other. I made a couple apple crisps recently - one to serve at home, a few days later one to take to my in-laws. So the next week I decided to change it up with some fresh peaches. Then I bought some organic blueberries at a farmer's market and decided to throw them in too. It turned out wonderfully.

The original recipe is for Apple Crisp from the Junior League of St. Louis' cookbook, p.231. All you do is mix together about:

4 cups of fresh peeled and sliced apples (or here I used peaches and blueberries)
1/4 cup water
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt


That all goes in an 8 x 8 in baking pan. For the topping, mix together (with a spoon or your hands):

3/4 c flour
1 c sugar
1/3 c softened butter


Spread the crumbly topping over the fruit and bake uncovered at 400 for about 40-50 minutes.


It is really great with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream, or as my family likes it - both.


On an unrelated note, the other night someone asked what kind of fish were in fish sticks, and without skipping a beat my six-year-old replied: "The ones that are easily tricked." Children are just so funny and clever. Mine keep me laughing and smiling all day (when I'm not exhausted, exasperated, or cleaning up some mess).

Here is another recent exchange:

Me: (hands 6 yr old plate of food)
6 yr old : "Thank you, waitress."
Me: (shakes head no)
6 yr old: "At least I didn't call you waitER."
8 yr old: "Call her Mommy."
6 yr old: "But I'll pay you."
8 yr old: "That would make her seem like even more of a waitress."

I hope everyone is starting out a great week. I have a busy couple weeks ahead but will try to get a few Italy and shopping posts up before too long.

xoxo

6 comments:

  1. You're getting ahead of me! I'm making the spag bol recipe right this second... :) Can't wait to try this one next!

    Cheers!
    lottie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi lottie - hope you like it! I'm going to make the spag bol again very soon :) x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aren't they hilarious? :)

    I make apple crisp all the time. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks delicious!

    www.sarahandthecityblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummy. Going to make this for the kids tonight (first day of school). Also, intrigued by the popcorn cake. Any particular recipe for that?

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks for stopping by Rose & Sarah Mina!
    savvy shopper - yes, I use Ingrid Hoffman's recipe from foodnetwork.com :)

    ReplyDelete