Monday, August 22, 2011

Brushes: What I Use {Real Techniques, MAC, Sephora}


Sometime before our summer vacation I had a nice long talk with a good friend in another state I hadn't spoken with in a while. When the conversation turned to make-up, we both stated our recent realization: It's. All. About. The. Brushes.

In all the years I've been playing around with cosmetics, I never really gave much thought to brushes. I've had a nice Cargo blush brush for years, but beyond that I'd just used whatever kind of seemed right from the drugstore, or what came with the makeup. How this happened, I don't know. But my recent viewings of fabulous make-up tutorials by Pixiwoo and Raychel Wade (check them out on youtube if you haven't already) have changed all that.

At the beginning of the summer, I bought the Real Techniques Travel Essentials set after hearing the multi-task brush mentioned in a Pixiwoo video (it's Samantha Chapman of Pixiwoo's brand). I switched out the foundation brush and eyeshadow brush for others that I already really liked, but kept the multi-task in and really loved using the travel case during our travels in Europe and on the East Coast. I actually still keep the brushes in the case here at home, propped in the standing triangle on my bathroom counter at the ready.




Besides the Real Techniques multi-task (for bronzer and blush), here is what I'm using:

Sephora Professionnel lip - levres retractable #60
MAC #266 (eyeliner)
MAC #217 (eyeshadow)
Sephora Professionnel mineral powder - poudre minerale #45 (the description says this is for loose powder, but a sales associate recommended this to me for use with liquid foundation and I love it)



The look I'm wearing almost daily right now (and wore throughout our summer travels) is adapted from this Pixiwoo video (usually minus the black eyeliner or with just a bit) ...using the brushes above and Chanel foundation, Urban Decay Baked Bronzer in Toasted, MAC Shale eyeshadow, and Makeup Forever Smoky Lash mascara. I change up lipsticks and glosses quite a bit.

I'd love to hear of favorite make-up tutorial videos!

xoxo

7 comments:

  1. What a great tutorial.
    She really had Kate's make up style when she was finished.
    I need to go shopping for some new brushes...

    ReplyDelete
  2. great brushes, and tips...i can always use make up tips and just never think to buy new brushes/makeup. i see on the sidebar, you bought a new target tunic...?? is that a recent purchase, bc it looks super pretty!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hostess - thank you for stopping by!
    mrs.a - yes I bought it in FL and I just saw it online. It is very similar to that blue/white Teagan tunic from a year or so ago. I bought a skirt in the same fabric and I think there is also a dress and cardi in this print.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really need to get on youtube for makeup tips! I used to work at the Clinique counter while in college and got a few nice brushes at the MAC counter, I have picked up a few in the past years but good brushes last so long and are totally worth every penny!

    ReplyDelete
  5. okay, thanks, i am going to target to get it, i LOVE the coloring in this!! how would you style it for fall? or with jeans...??

    ReplyDelete
  6. mrs.a - it's pretty lightweight - I think just jeans or something dark brown... still thinking on it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. hmmmmm maybe with jeans, brown boots or flats, and a light brown or hot pink cardi over it?? i wonder if that would work..??

    ReplyDelete