Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Arriving in Denmark {The Ascot and Kobenhavner Cafeen}


We arrived in Copenhagen on July 8th in the afternoon, after a ten hour flight with very little sleep (some of us less than others) and a nine hour time change... so after checking into our hotel (The Ascot) we set straight out into the city to resist the urge to take a nap. Our goal was to make it to an 8:00 pm local time bedtime. We walked around Stroget and had dinner at Kobenhavner Cafeen on Badstuestraede.

my dinner - fiskefillet med pommes frites og remoulade

I could tell my Danish-born husband was happy to be back... this is what he ate - the flaeskesteg (with lots of potatoes and cabbage)

We couldn't find anything suitable on the menu for my nine-year-old vegetarian, but they put together a nice omelet with a side of vegetables and some toast for her.

After dinner we slowly made our way back to the hotel. A large room like we had last time was not available at the Scandic Palace, so I found a new place on booking.com... a site I highly recommend. It is very easy to use and perfect for our situation where I am booking for five people. I've been so frustrated using other sites when, upon filling in the form, keep receiving the message: "exceeds max children" "exceeds max children" "exceeds max children". Booking.com lets me "exceed max children" and just finds something for me. In Italy, we had adjoining rooms in Castellammare di Stabia and two next to each other in Arezzo. In Copenhagen, they found us a lovely suite of rooms in The Ascot Hotel. It is a great location - we could walk to Stroget easily. Booking.com took a credit card number to reserve but I was not charged by them and there weren't any fees. We were given confirmation numbers, everything went smoothly, and we were charged exactly what the site said we would be by the hotels.

Here are some pictures of The Ascot... I will definitely look to this place for our next visit to Denmark. Our apartment had a large, nicely decorated living room, two bedrooms, one bathroom, and a large kitchen with a little deck off of it. Very nice.






This is the hotel bar, off the lobby. Very cozy -- or hyggelig -- as they would say in Denmark. There is a separate restaurant also.


I'll have some shopping snaps from Stroget up next. Happy Tuesday!

xoxo

3 comments:

  1. I love Copenhagen! I had the opportunity to go there with my half-Danish (ex)boyfriend (his dad was born in Denmark), and I just loved it. I also love that although I have very little Scandinavian blood (small percentage Finnish), everyone thought I was Danish or Swedish... I certainly look the part and now I even have a Norwegian last name to go with my Scandinavian first name. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to go to Copenhagen--it's on my list. The company I work for occasionally does business there, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

    I laughed a little at "exceeding maximum children" on Booking.com.

    Looks like it was a great time with good food.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your trip sounds divine! I hear you on exceeding maximum children as it is a frequent problem for us too. I just wonder what do they want us to do put the kids in another room? Because I want to sleep next to my hubby.

    ReplyDelete